Monday, January 31, 2011

Is there a doctor in the house?

The cold that I got a month ago has been lingering forever and I started feeling like maybe I had a sinus infection a few days ago.  A lot of pressure in one cheek with a headache would start happening around 3:30 in the afternoon (not before) and it would go away with ibuprofen, so I let that happen for a couple of days.  It was not enough to be noticeable during the weekend of stomach bug but this morning the cheek pressure started up again so I gave in and decided to see a doctor.  I very much dislike going to the doctor.  I have to be on death's door to make it happen.

Of course, when I called there were no appointments this week so the nice lady said that she would have the doctor call me back.  She took down all my symptoms and info, including my pharmacy name and number.  Since I hate going to the doctor so very much this sounded sort of promising - maybe they would just call in a prescription!  Whoo hoo! 

When the phone rang again, though, it was the same lady - not as nice this time.  Sort of condescending and sounding a little like she thought I was some sort of deviant.  She figured out that I haven't been to see my primary care physician in over four years.  I can't decide if I should be embarrassed to tell you that.  It's not like I haven't been under medical care - I saw my OB about five million times in the course of those years.  But since I haven't been in so long, they now consider me a new patient and the next available appointment for a new patient is February 16.  FEBRUARY 16.  So I made an appointment for a physical on February 16. 

She didn't offer any solutions for my current problem and seemed sort of indignant that I could possibly need medical attention sort of sooner than sixteen days.  So, I went out and bought a neti pot.  I've wanted to try it for a long time, but just never got around to getting one.  Everybody I know who uses one always says it changed their lives, they love it and swear by the results.

Well, I've used it once.  It was interesting.  Not as scary as I thought it would be.  It hasn't changed my life yet, but maybe after a few more uses I'll feel like a different person.  I know, I may be too far gone at this point if I really do have a sinus infection, so if the pressure doesn't let up in a day or two I guess I'll drag myself to a walk-in clinic.  I just love the thought of doing that with the little girls in tow.  Ug.  Another reason to miss living in San Diego - if we were there I could just go to TJ and get some Mexican antibiotics.

2 comments:

  1. You know it's changed my life. Since you feel like you have a sinus infection, I recommend using it in the morning and evening. My ENT said you can even use it three time a day. You will start noticing a difference after a while. Just stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about the Neti-pot, I hope it helps!

    As for the doctor's office... I feel your pain. I've had problems with the staff at my PCP as well, with rude and inconsistent service, but I like the doctor too much to switch. It shouldn't have to be that way, though :(

    ReplyDelete