Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Things that go bump in the night

A little while ago Violet asked, "Mommy, on today's night [translation:  last night] did I fall down the stairs?"  I'd forgotten about the crazy night we had. 

I have worked hard to cultivate my husband's night-time response to the kids once they stopped nursing.  And I've gotten pretty good at sleeping through a lot of the night time things.  I sometimes wake up in the morning with one or more kids in bed with us and have no recollection of them getting there.  That even happened to me once when Zoey was just a few of months old and Husband was out of town for a week.  I'm assuming I'm the one who picked her up when she cried - but really it could've been anyone. 

So that sets the stage for last night - I was sleeping deeply when suddenly I heard a series of thumps and Husband saying, "OH MY GOD DID YOU FALL DOWN THE STAIRS?!"  Turns out Violet had woken up and had to pee - Greg heard her call out and got up to assist.  Afterward Violet asked if she could come back to bed with us - he agreed, flipped off the bathroom light and made his way back to our room (which was maybe 3 adult steps from the bathroom).  Violet got disoriented in the sudden dark, "Daddy where are you?"  He told her to just follow the sound of his voice.  Turned out not to be the best advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment