Thursday, December 16, 2010

One of life's little tragedies

Panama City, FL has been on my mind since yesterday.  If you haven't seen it in the news yet, there was a shooting at a school board meeting.  The man was confronting the school board because he said his wife had been fired unfairly.  The video is pretty scary, I can't imagine what it must have been like to be there. 

I have never even touched a gun, much less owned one and I can't imagine a scenario that would ever make me change my mind.  I just don't understand it - well, I do understand hunting (although, I'd never do that either) - but I think having a hand gun would make me feel more afraid than safe.  And it definitely makes me feel afraid that I guy like this one would have access to a gun.  He's an ex-convict whose been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. 

We actually lived in Panama City for almost five years in the late nineties, early aughts.  I worked for a family owned construction company and one day gun ownership came up in conversation - I don't remember exactly why.  I shared that I did not own a gun and probably never would - I think that was pretty shocking for the family to hear.  My boss's mother assured me that I would change my mind when I had children.  I was appalled, but just nodded and smiled, since, you know, it was the boss's mom - if anything, having children in the house makes me feel like it's an even worse idea to own a gun. 

Intellectually, I know that guns and weapons in general are a part of our existence and that is never likely to change.  But in my heart I hate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment